- In 2021, we had 23,808 new requests for help.*
- We represented 6,222 Vermonters.
- We provided vital legal information and referrals to 13,175 Vermonters.
- Our projects could not help the caller 3,791 times because we were unable to connect with the caller, they were not eligible for help under our grants, or they needed legal help in an area that we do not practice in.
* These figures include statistics from both Vermont Legal Aid and Legal Services Vermont (LSV), our statewide legal services partner.
Requests for help by legal category - FY2021
|Category of client’s problem||Requests|
|Housing issues, evictions and foreclosure||7,250|
|Health care access||3,919|
|Individual rights and disability rights||2,612|
|Family issues, divorce and abuse||2,600|
|Government benefits problems||1,589|
|Consumer problems and debt||994|
|Employment issues and unemployment||975|
|Miscellaneous / other legal problems||3,869|
Legal services funding is a sound investment
The Vermont Bar Foundation commissioned a study which found the state gets a return of $11 of every $1 put toward legal services. Read the findings of the Vermont Bar Foundation report.