The Medical-Legal Partnership Project helps Vermonters with legal needs that may harm their health. We have three partnerships with Vermont medical providers.
In our partnership with UVM Medical Center, we work with care managers to address their patients' civil legal problems. Through the Legal Assistance in Recovery Services project, we partner with medication-assisted treatment (MAT) clinics around the state. We help people with substance use disorder to overcome legal obstacles to their recovery. We also work with DULCE to provide legal support to families with newborn children. It’s a partnership with several pediatric practices and parent-child centers.
We give advice and represent Vermonters in a wide variety of areas, including:
- expungement of criminal records
- evictions and habitability in rental housing
- emergency housing for people without a home
- custody and visitation
- public benefits
- and driver's license reinstatement.
We also train and support our medical partners. In addition, we advocate for state policies that improve the lives of our clients.
You may qualify for legal help from Vermont Legal Aid. To ask for a referral to Vermont Legal Aid or other legal help:
- use our Legal Help Tool on the VTLawHelp.org website, or
- call our legal helpline at 1-800-889-2047.